Monday, January 26, 2009

Two Weeks of Pride


I picked up a fabric a while back at Wal Mart with a Native American theme. I didn't even know what I wanted to do with it, and then one day it hit me..... that fabric would look great with a Lone Star design of bright colors taken from the fabric. So I went to buy a few pieces of those bright fabrics and also found a Native American design that would work great for the border.

Now I had all the fabrics. The fun part would be taking my time to do the Lone Star technique correctly. I had to be slow and precise with it. This is not a design you can rush on. I used Lone Star Quilts and beyond by Jan Krentz to guide me through this. When it was all finished I was proud of it. The last time I tried to do a star quilt I messed up so royally I threw it away, but this one, though there are a few minor errors, came out looking great.

I spent about two weeks on the weekends making this top. It's a queen sized top, so I don't know how I'm going to quilt that on my machine. I may end up quilting this one by hand as well. It would also help to give it that old fashioned style to it. I'm not sure which way I will go yet, but I know I'm very pleased with how the top came out.

No comments: